Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Oberoi Maidens

Today mail brought a expected surprise our passports with India visa stamps good until May 11,2007. So the passport visa wait is over, finally.

Above is The Oberoi Maidens hotel from which the tour starts on Jan 3rd, 2007 my problem the last few days is where to stay before and after the tour. The tour guide said that I could stay at the The Oberoi Maidens for $225USD a day. But I just wanted a roof over our heads and some help taking care of getting new glasses.

I put a call out to India Mike's forum and was told that I could not get a room at the Oberoi Maidens for under $400USD but I believe our tour guide could get me in at$225 USD but that too much. Another suggestion was the
YMCA
in New Delhi. It was described as a bit funky but very popular with tourists--which will be $50 per night, with attached bathroom, including breakfast, 10,Sansad Marg (Parliament Street), New Delhi-110 001. That was not one to fill the bill this trip, maybe when I travel alone.

Surya Shelter


But the surprise one is the
Surya Shelter
, rather luxurious, which will be $80 per night, at 4/33, W.E.A. Saraswati Marg, Karol Bagh New Delhi-110005--the Delhi hotel is easily accessible to National and International Airports, New and old Delhi Railway station I.S.B.T and many important commercial locations. Just right for a special trip for my 17 year old son birthday gift trip. Of course the only photo is of a double bed rather than the two singles which we shall stay in. They have a special where is you stay two night and a day they give you two meals, plus the third day late check out allows us to get to the airport by 5pm for our three hour mandatory terrorist check in.

Plus the bonus meals gives us the chance to experiment with new foods at no cost.
My vegetarian son (I went that route for many a year)is very happy to visit a country that is primarily vegetarian. He was happy to find out that there is a choice of three types of vegetarian food on Singapore Airlines, Western, Asian and Chinese. No more grilled cheese on white bread or PBJ(Peanut Butter and Jelly)

I got a new type of glasses holder that holds two pair of glasses at the same time from Duluth Trading Company (my new favorite store).

I have heard around the net that in India you can get three pairs of glasses for the price of one pair in the USA. I figured I would finally get a pair of Photo-chromic lens for daytime use and a clear pair for night driving. I was recommended to the oldest optical company in India the Lawrence and Mayo Optic Store in New Delhi which is located in New Delhi at 76 Janpath, New Delhi-110001 phone 011- 23356262

Well before you readers, fall asleep I shall stop for the evening

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home